An article on the aristocratic residence of the Wesselenyi family in Jibou (Salaj County), a highlight of the modern botanical gardens.
The newspaper Graiul Salajului contributed a detailed history of the Wesselenyi residence in Jibou, authored by Eduard Farcas. Summary in English: located on the grounds of the modern "Vasile Fati" Botanical Garden in Jibou, the history of the Wesselenyi residence can be traced to the early 18th century, when Hungarian noble Istvan Wesselenyi acquired the property and initiated a major rebuilding and expansion of a pre-existing building. The residence was significantly modified or restored on three occasions between the mid 18th and early 19th century by members of the same family. The primary phase of building the structure visible today occurred in the 1770's in the content of the marriage between Miklos Wesselenyi and Helena Cserei. By this time, the gardens surrounding the residence were already well-established. Many of the artistic refinements of the grounds and building were accomplished by the Hunagrian sculptor, Franz Wrabetz. During the early period of Romanian nationhood, the building was renovated and used for different purposes, includinh a school, a hostel, and a museum of local history. Botanist, Vasile Fati was entrusted with the complex in 1968 and developed the core of the botanical gardens of Jibou.
Note: in the last 10 years, administrators of the botanical garden have invested in refining and expanding the complex, which now houses an aquarium, a small aviary, and a preserve for wild boar and deer. The garden complex is open to the public daily between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. with extensions in the summer.